The NBA has a 24 second shot clock where the team on offense has that allotted amount of time to attempt a shot before turning the ball over to the opposing team. In this case, I'm giving 24 brief thoughts about the first 2 weeks in the NBA, not necessarily in 24 seconds.
1. The Spurs are clearly going through an adjustment period and trying their best to assimilate the 6 new players on their roster. The Spurs are currently 5th in the West (5-3). Expect Coach Pop to get it under control.
2. James Harden is looking scary good, and is flourishing under Mike D'antoni's offense. The Rockets are 4th in the west at (4-3). Give it some time and you'll see the win streaks come in. Harden might just lead the league in Assists this season - He owns 5 of the 6 15+ assists games so far this season.
3. Isaiah Thomas and Paul George called out their respective teams this past week basically stating that there's no effort/no chemistry. Normally when the best player calls out their team a big change comes, whether really good or really bad, never in between. Boston Celtics (3-4) and Indiana Pacers (4-4).
4. It took two weeks for Stephen Curry to break a record. He broke the record for most 3 pointers made in a single game against the Pelicans on Monday 11/7/16. Lights out shooting.
5. Anthony Davis is stuffing the stat sheet every time he steps on the hardwood. But the lowly pelicans are a measly (1-8) picking up their first wins against the Bucks on Thursday 11/10.
6. The Utah Jazz are 6th in the western conference at (5-4), but have been hit by the injury bug early on this season. Once they get healthy they should flip the switch. Gordon Hayward is already playing hot.
7. Despite adding blocking specialists Bismack Biyombo, and Serge Ibaka the Magic are allowing opponents to shoot 62.3% within 5 feet from the basket. The Magic are (3-5).
8. LeBron James is now in the top 10 all time in scoring and surpassed Kobe Bryant for the youngest player ever to reach 27000 points. LeBron is in his 13th NBA season at age 31 and looks like he has another 8-10 seasons left in him. We might just be witnessing the all time leader in scoring in the making.
9. Ray Allen retired, perhaps the greatest shooter of all time. Thanks for the clutch historical memories, Jesus Shuttlesworth. I'll never forget game 6 of the 2013 NBA Finals.
10. The Bulls hot streak came and went. Standing at (4-4) they have shown flashes of what they can become but have also shown flashes of what the lack of shooting can do. The Bulls are currently shooting an abysmal 32.5% from shots beyond 25 ft.
11. Giannis Antetokounmpo aka "The Greek Freak" is living up to his nickname. Just look up his stats.
12. The Clippers currently own the league's best record at (7-1) and have defeated their last 4 opponents by an average of 24.5 points. We've seen this story before however, where the Clippers excel in the regular season but fade in the post season. Will this season be different?
13. The Charlotte Hornets are (6-1). Are they the real deal?
14. The Atlanta Hawks handed the Cavs their first loss of the season and are playing well. Dennis Schroder is flourishing in the starting PG role and Dwight Howard is hosting block parties every night. The Hawks are in the top 10 in the league in PPG (Points per game), RPG (Rebounds per game), APG (Assists per game), and OPPG (Opponents points per game).
15. Demar Derozan is looking at a career year as he leads the league in scoring and has the Raptors at (5-2). The Raptors however are relying heavily on isolation basketball as they are last in the league in APG (assists per game).
16. The Los Angeles Lakers are demanding respect as they are out-performing expectations. The Lakers are (4-4) and have defeated both the Rockets and the Warriors. Let's see how long they can keep this performance up.
17. The Knicks are a mixed bag at the moment. For example, they've got what looks to be a slight resurrection of Derrick Rose but rank last in Defense. Kurt Rambis is taking a lot of heat since he's the team's defensive coordinator.
18. The Denver Nuggets literally struck gold with both their bigmen, Nurkic and Jokic.
19. Damian Lillard is a Stud (with a capital S). If he gets omitted from the All-Star game again, this season, we should reevaluate how the All-Stars are selected.
20. Is it a surprise to anyone that Russell Westbrook is leading the league in triple doubles? As they're saying in OKC, "Why not [us]?".
21. Karl-Anthony Towns has digressed a bit, as some predicted he would under coach Thibs. Let's wait for him to get into a better stride to pass better judgement.
22. The Philadelphia 76ers are 0-7. #TrustTheProcess
23. John Wall has been ejected twice in 7 games.
24. Memphis Grizzlies are stuck in the middle of the pack and looks like a lock to stay there for years to come.
My name is Aldemar and I created this blog to discuss topics about the NBA.
Like and share the Uncontested Shots facebook page below!
Please note: uncontentestedshots.com does not own any of the team, league, player or event logos/uniforms (images) depicted within this site, we do not have the power to grant usage rights to anyone. All team and league information, sports logos, sports uniforms and names contained within this site are properties of their respective leagues, teams, players, ownership groups and/or organizations.